Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
PROJECT ENGINEER - LEAN SPECIALIST
at L.B. Foster
L.B. Foster plays an integral role in each stage of the oil and gas industry, from the drilling and production market segment to transportation to refineries, as well as in distribution networks carrying hydrocarbon fluids and natural gas.
The Company’s Tubular and Energy Solutions segment is focused on the safe deployment of tubulars for energy transport applications, and the critical measurement required for the transport of liquids and gases. Our breadth of conversion services such as corrosion protection of pipelines, asset integrity services, and premium connections prepare tubulars for critical oil and gas transport applications across the entire energy delivery path. Our engineered liquid and gas flow metering system solutions provide critical custody transfer for oil and gas projects around the world. The Company also manufactures complete additive and dye injection systems that are used in petroleum and petrochemical applications.
This opportunity is with the L.B. Foster Protective Coatings business unit. The plant is ISO 9001:2008 Registered and assures consistent quality in its application of plant-applied corrosion protection for steel line pipe and pipe piling. This pipe coating facility is located on the site of the Birmingham, Alabama operations of American Steel Pipe. L.B. Foster partners with American Steel Pipe to provide customers the convenience and cost savings of receiving manufactured and coated steel line pipe from a single location.
L.B. Foster is searching for a Project Engineer at our Protective Coatings Facility in Birmingham, AL. This position would be responsible for managing capital projects, plant improvements, project design and implementation, throughout LB Foster facilities.
· Serve as an operational resource to assist with lean projects at the plant level.
o Work independently and in cross-functional teams to identify and execute improvement opportunities in production, quality and safety
o Act as a change agent, systematically driving continuous improvement and operational excellence methodologies throughout entire organization
o Leading Kaizen events – identify team members, prepare agenda, conduct training, implement improvements, create and track measures, and actions
o Identify opportunities for capital investment and prepare justification requirements though the collection and analysis of data in order to calculate ROI
o Create current state and future state value stream maps of operation and administrative processes and improve constraints impeding flow of the process
o Investigate, evaluate and implement process improvements such as changeover reduction, one-piece flow, process variation reduction and standard work
o Recommend methods for improving worker efficiency and reducing waste of materials and utilities, such as restructuring job duties, reorganizing workflow, relocating work stations and equipment, and purchase of equipment.
· Own and complete other manufacturing and plant projects.
o Manage multiple projects simultaneously and ensure that each project is on schedule and within budget
o Form a support team required for effective completion of the project, state the purpose of the whole project, and assign the team members specific roles
o Responsible to conduct regular meetings with teams to understand status of the project and to make certain changes and improvements, if necessary, to achieve the desired results.
o Plan, budget, oversee and document all aspects of the specific project you are working on
o Prepare and present project reports on a regular basis.
o Evaluate projects upon completion and identify the key factors that led to the completion of the project, and factors that were not beneficial for the project.
· Perform other manufacturing engineering duties and operational activities as appropriate.
Skills, Experience and Education:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing, Industrial, or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
· 3 years’ experience in engineering, operations, or project management in a manufacturing environment
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office tools
· Excellent business management, developmental skills, and financial management skills
· Excellent written communication and organizational skills
· Excellent Excel skills
· Excellent data analysis skills
· Ability to think outside the box
· Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers, employees or partners
· Ability to work autonomously with little support or guidance
· Proven troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
· Ability to follow procedures
· Available to work extended hours when required
· Knowledge and experience using lean methodologies such as: Root Cause Analysis, PDCA, One Piece Flow, Takt Time, Standardized Work, SMED, TPM, 5S, Value Stream Mapping, DOE, Gage R&R
· Lean Six Sigma Certification is a plus
|In return, we offer an opportunity to build a solid career with competitive compensation and a very attractive benefits package, including health care coverage on the first of the month after hire and a market-leading 401(k) program. If you meet the qualifications and would like to be considered for this position, please apply online at www.lbfosterjobs.com EEO/AA/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans|