National MS Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Manager, Public Relations
at National MS Society
Potential Work LocationsFLEXIBLE, Birmingham, Alabama, Washington, District Of Columbia, Tampa, Florida, Jacksonville, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Atlanta, Georgia, Louisville, Kentucky, Charlotte, North Carolina, Greensboro, North Carolina, Woodbridge, New Jersey, Raleigh, North Carolina, Duncansville, Pennsylvania, Erie, Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Brentwood, Tennessee, Virginia Beach, Virginia, Charleston, West Virginia
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing/Communications/Public Relations
- 10 years of directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
- 5 years of experience in public relations/media role
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and strong storytelling skills.
- Experience in local media relations -- broad and targeted. Able to identify, cultivate and build strong connections with local media when pitching stories as well as recruit and cultivate media personalities to engage in events (emcees, honorary chairs, etc.).
- Efficient organization skills -- able to prioritize, plan, maintain editorial calendar, simultaneously execute multiple PR campaigns and tasks.
- Proven experience and success in managing PR & media in small and large-scale events; including grassroots events, mass market events, galas, luncheons, press conferences, town halls, etc. This includes connecting media to stories on-site, training/preparing spokesperson for interviews, identifying media opportunities and leveraging those
- Exhibits professional maturity and ability to work under pressure.
- Effective Decision-making - Assesses risks, benefits and consequences of decisions; determines the best course of action based on available information and alternatives.
- Experienced in writing and implementing a crisis communications plan.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and expectations of the National MS Society
- Experienced in AP Style.
- Expert with Microsoft Word, Microsoft PPT, and Excel.
- This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package to employees. These benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Flexible Work Arrangement Options; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society mobilizes people and resources to drive research for a cure and to address the challenges of everyone affected by MS. To fulfill this mission, the Society funds cutting-edge research, drives change through advocacy, facilitates professional education, collaborates with MS organizations around the world, and provides programs and services designed to help people with MS and their families move their lives forward.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our national Marketing team as a Manager, Public Relations.
The Public Relations Manager leads public relations and media outreach efforts for Society priorities across an assigned portfolio of markets -- including fundraising events, implementing the Society's plan for Bike MS, Challenge Walk MS, Walk MS, Leadership Events, and other targeted local media activities to achieve plan outcomes and results.
Leads local public relations and media outreach efforts to advance Society priorities: 100%
- Responsible for cultivating, leveraging and engaging media to promote events to increase awareness, participation and fundraising.
- Coordinates media opportunities with key constituents, participants and Society spokespeople.
- Creates and maintains local/market media database; Conducts monitoring and reporting on media placements.
- Utilizes consistent Society plans and media tools/templates/materials; updates where needed to be relevant to local event/market/initiative.
- Proactively pitches stories and opportunities to media; leverages Society pitch calendar
- Coordinates with the social media team to leverage social media.
- Demonstrates continuous improvement of and strict adherence to Society practices and policy.
- Secures event photography as needed per the Society's integrated content plan.
- Manages on-site media opportunities at events (where required due to market. size/potential); Prepares event scripts based on Society templates.
- Ensures accurate Society information is provided to media to create understanding of the Society's investment, leadership, and impact.
- Interviews candidates, spokespeople, etc., and conducts media training and prep for spokespeople.
- Manages the local media relationships (based on prioritized impact) and local community placements in the news and on websites (as appropriate to achieve results), such as stories, calendar listings, and other information on a consistent basis.
- Coordinates management of on-site participation of key Society celebrities/ambassadors where they are involved in local events.
- Implements Society PR campaigns using centrally provided materials and adds local elements.
- Manages crisis communications in partnership with other Society leadership as needed.
- Respond in timely fashion to media requests and to connect reporters with appropriate experts: staff, advocates, MS Ambassadors, event participants, etc.
- Identify stories that align with Society goals and are relevant for local media.
- Proactively and creatively pitch stories to media and provide supporting Society materials and follow-up.